A (somewhat) daily rambling on the life of a polymer Clay metal clay and Fused Glass artist/teacher/author.

Very soon my blog will move to my website...as soon as it is done that is. This blog will be my Theatrical life of directing The Secret Garden

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Making of Quilters Logo PART VI



Now we are on to a flier that Chrissie (Madam Director of the winter 2011 musical, Quilters) wanted for the El Dorado County Fair last weekend.

The fair was awesome this year, by the way, the weather was Spring-ish, a light breeze and the chicken display was so incredible.  If I knew how to upload photos from my camera I would post them now. LOTs of chicken photos. They can be so beautiful....
don't take my word for it. Go to your county fair this year and check them out....  Okay, okay, on to the Quilters flier.


Chrissie wanted to have some pertinent info on the flier: dates of production, where to get tickets/more information, audition dates, call-back dates and the logo (of course). To keep costs down, she wanted everything in grey scale.

Well, one of the most important facets of the flier and future poster was the font style.  The show takes place during the 'westward ho' time of our country and all the fonts during that time were .... well .... old time-y.

In other words BUSY....! Yikes, we want people to read the words, go out and audition or go and see the show.  So, I made an administrative decision.  Eurostile.  It took me quite a while to pick out the right shape 'Q' for the logo in the first place.  I was following the sketch that Roger Filippelli (madame director's husband and artist extraordinaire) drew. Then I had made the Q taller in InDesign to allow the faces of the future actors in the show to be inserted.  Part of me felt that the font was the least important part of the whole package and HAD to be easily read.  ... well, duh?

So, yours truly was exceptionally lucky. Chrissie liked it on the first go round, except for one spelling error.  And, I felt that I needed to add the Imagination Theater's website. After those two fixes we had a two sided flier.

What'cha think?

 Clarity IS lost when converted to a small dpi image.
Oh, well.... here 'tis.

No comments:

Post a Comment